Technology Service Desk

Adding or Updating Your Chosen Name and Gender Pronouns

Adler community members can directly manage their personal identity information in our systems which includes:

  • Chosen Name (Preferred Name)
  • Gender Pronoun
  • Gender Identity

When someone indicates a chosen name, it is not a legal name change.  A formal legal name change must be supported by legal documentation (birth certificate, marriage certificate, passport, driver's license, or court order, for example) and is done through the applicable office, like the Registrar's office or the Office of Human Resources. 

Chosen Name vs. Legal Name at Adler

A chosen name is a first, middle, or last name that an individual chooses, other than their legal name, to better reflect how they wish to identify, and it is a name that aligns with their sense of self.   Once a chosen name has been recorded it can take up to 72 hours to display in University systems.

Consideration for Name Selection

The University reserves the right to refuse a chosen name in the event that the name reflects the use of profane words or other words that are deemed derogatory in nature.

Allowable name formats include:

  1. A shortened derivative of a name (e.g., Sue instead of Susan)
  2. A middle name instead of a first name
  3. A nickname 
  4. First and middle initials (e.g., AJ for Andrew Johnson”)
  5. A name that better represents the individual’s identity
  6. A name to which the individual is in the process of legally changing

The following systems will reflect the student's Chosen name and Gender Pronouns:

Chosen Name (Preferred Name) Gender Pronoun
  1. Colleague
  2. Course rosters, waitlist rosters, grade rosters in Self-Service/Canvas
  3. “Student Planning” and “Grade” options in Self-Service
  4. Canvas (LMS)
  1. Faculty Overview
  2. Rosters
  3. Grading (all grading tabs)
  4. Permissions (Waiver and Petition /Faculty Consent)
  5. Advising Overview
  6. Self-Service User Profile
  7. Plan Archive
  8. Student Schedule Print

The following require Legal names to be used:

  1. Academic Certifications
  2. Diplomas (TBD) 
  3. Federal Requests for Information
  4. Financial Aid
  5. International Students Status (e.g., I-20s, SEVIS)
  6. Official and Unofficial Academic Transcripts
  7. Official Enrollment and Degree Verification Requests
  8. Student Accounts Receivable
  9. Student Employee/Payroll Information

A legal name is defined as that name verified by a birth certificate, marriage certificate, passport, driver's license or court order, for example.

Re-issuance of IDs

For all individuals who already have an ID card, and then later request a name change, a new ID card may be issued provided the old ID is turned in.

Current Limitations

Currently, some technological limitations prevent our University systems from being able to change the Adler username and email address to reflect the chosen name.

How to change or update your chosen name or gender pronouns

  1. Go to Self-Service at
  2. Log in using your Adler username and password
  3. Towards the top of the page, click your name then click on User Profile.
  4. Click on Edit Personal Identity
  5. Complete the sections you want to change or update, then click Save.
  6. You will receive a message in the upper right of the screen to confirm your updates and changes were successfully saved.

Please allow up to three business days for your changes to take effect in ALL the appropriate systems. If you require technical assistance, please contact the service desk, or for any additional questions, contact the Office of the Registrar

Was this answer helpful? Yes No

Sorry we couldn't be helpful. Help us improve this article with your feedback.